Plant-Based Sancocho (Root Vegetable Soup)
Plant-Based Sancocho (Root Vegetable Soup)Course: Lunch, Dinner
⅓ cup of oil
1 cup of sofrito sazon
2 green plantains cut into ½u0022 slices
2 cups of yam (ñame)
2 cups of cassava (yuca) (peeled and cut into small pieces)
2 cups of malanga (yautía)
2 cups of pumpkin (auyama)
1 corn on the cob, cut into ½u0022 slices
4 cups of water or vegetable broth
A bunch of cilantro, chopped
1½ teaspoons of salt (or more, to taste),
½ teaspoons of pepper (or more, to taste)
1 teaspoon of vija / achiote (optional)
Lime to serve (optional)
- In a cauldron pot (caldero) heat oil* over medium heat (caldero). Add the sofrito and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the plantains, yam, cassava, malanga, plantain, pumpkin, and corn. Sauté vegetables for 1 minute or until the vegetables and roots are covered in sofrito sazon.
- Add water or vegetable broth and achiote (optional).
- Cover over medium heat until all the vegetables and roots are cooked through (usually takes 1 hour)
- Add chopped cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with sliced lime on the side and accompany with brown or white rice.